Comcast today announced it began expanding its Xfinity 10G Network to more than 250 homes and businesses in the town of Sharon in Litchfield County. The town of Sharon and Comcast are partnering to provide high-speed broadband access to the most rural areas in the town. This network expansion will connect previously unserved residents and businesses to Comcast’s full suite of services, including Xfinity residential broadband speeds up to 1.2 gigabits per second (Gbps) and Comcast Business speeds up to 100 Gbps.
The process to extend Comcast’s fiber-rich network in these areas is underway, with the first new customers expected to have service available this month. Prospective customers will receive mail from Comcast approximately 30 days before service is available in their neighborhood.
“Expanding high-speed Internet access in Sharon is a game changer for the 250 addresses in our community that did not previously have broadband access,” said Brent Colley, the Town of Sharon’s First Selectman. “Reliable connectivity is a necessity for our residents and local businesses, and our town has made a direct investment of resources alongside Comcast’s investment, to get this done. This project is vital and we’re proud to be on our way to accomplishing it through this partnership.”
“We are proud to partner with the town of Sharon and invest further in the state of Connecticut,” said Carolyne Hannan, Senior Vice President of Comcast’s Western New England Region, which is based in Connecticut. “Bringing high-speed and reliable Internet access to addresses that did not previously have access will help ensure that more Sharon residents and businesses have the important connections they need for their educational, professional and personal lives.”
Sharon residents and businesses can visit Xfinity.com, call 1-800-XFINITY or visit our Xfinity Store in Canton, located at 81 Albany Turnpike, once they are customers to get more information about their products and services. Experts at the Xfinity Store can help with product demonstrations, answer questions, and help local businesses schedule an informational meeting with the Comcast Business sales team.
Residential customers will be able to take advantage of Xfinity’s full suite of Internet products, including advanced WiFi technology from powerful gateways, Advanced Security, Xfinity Mobile and the ultimate entertainment with Flex, a 4K platform for Internet-only customers that seamlessly delivers streaming content.
Powered by the Xfinity 10G Network
Comcast’s Xfinity 10G Network and Internet experience are powering homes today and into the future:
- Ultimate Capacity: Xfinity customers connect nearly 1 billion devices across the company’s network annually. The Xfinity 10G Network with Xfinity gateways deliver the most advanced WiFi technology carrying three times more bandwidth to power streaming, gaming, videoconferencing, and more, simultaneously.
- Fastest Internet: More than a third of Xfinity Internet customers subscribe to gigabit speed products, and symmetrical gig speeds are coming to the first homes later this year.
- Unprecedented Coverage: The latest Xfinity Gateway provides a more reliable connection throughout the home. Customers can get wall-to-wall WiFi coverage with a powerful WiFi Boost Pod that extends coverage to hard-to-reach areas, with plans for an offering of increased support for in-home WiFi through a “boost guarantee” later this year.
- Most Reliable Connection: Comcast is scaling the nation’s largest and most reliable network – the Xfinity 10G Network – that passes 60 million homes and businesses and counting. The company plans to launch a new device that is “storm-ready” with cellular and battery backup to help keep customers connected even when the power goes out.
- Ultra-Low Latency: The Xfinity 10G Network and the latest Xfinity Gateway are a powerful combination that deliver ultra-low latency for those moments when response times matter most like video games, a fast-growing category with Xfinity households averaging more than one gaming console per home.
For local businesses, Comcast Business offers a suite of connectivity, communications, networking, cybersecurity, wireless and managed solutions to help organizations of different sizes prepare for what’s next. Powered by the nation’s largest Gig-speed broadband network, and backed by 24/7 customer support, Comcast Business is the nation’s largest cable provider to small and mid-size businesses and one of the leading service providers to the Enterprise market. Comcast Business has been consistently recognized by industry analysts and associations as a leader and innovator, and one of the fastest growing providers of Ethernet services.
Comcast also is proud to participate in the federal government’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), which provides eligible low-income households with a credit of up to $30 per month ($75 per month on Tribal lands) toward their Internet and/or mobile service. Thanks to ACP, eligible Comcast customers can get home Internet through Comcast’s Internet Essentials or Internet Essentials Plus at no cost once the federal credit is applied. Internet Essentials customers can also add a line of unlimited 5G cellular data ($45) through Xfinity Mobile for as little as $24.95/month after the ACP benefit is applied.
Over the last few years, Comcast invested in the state of Connecticut to improve and expand its network and continue delivering reliable, secure, and fast connectivity to its customers. Comcast’s most recent expansion in the town of Sharon is the company’s latest investment in the state, which also includes expansions to East Lyme, Jewett City, Killingly New London, Plainfield and Waterford. In addition, Comcast announced a network expansion to nearly 100 unserved businesses in the North End of Hartford.
Comcast is deeply committed to advancing digital equity in the communities it serves. The company has installed 32 Lift Zones in Connecticut, providing free WiFi service to help these community centers promote digital learning. Lift Zones are part of Project UP, Comcast’s comprehensive, 10-year, $1 billion commitment to help build a future of unlimited possibilities and the continuation of the company’s long history of giving back to communities where it provides service and where its employees live and work.