Massachusetts Lt. Governor Karyn Polito and Comcast recently celebrated the completion of the Broadband Extension Program, a project supported by the Massachusetts Broadband Institute at MassTech (MBI) that expanded broadband access in nine municipalities in western Massachusetts. The celebration took place in the Pelham Library and was attended by leaders from the MBI and the nine municipalities.
During the event, the Lt. Governor shared that Comcast completed the project under the two-year timeline and delivered broadband connectivity to 1,303 new residences and businesses in Buckland, Conway, Chester, Hardwick, Huntington, Montague, Northfield, Pelham and Shelburne, which brought each town to the MBI’s overall coverage goal of 96% or above. Moreover, Comcast greatly exceeded its coverage requirements and provided access to nearly 20% more premises than originally planned at no extra cost to the Commonwealth.
[vimeo 289476473 w=640 h=360]
In 2016, the MBI awarded Comcast a grant of up to $4 million in state funds to supplement Comcast’s investment to construct broadband Internet extensions to additional homes and businesses from its existing networks in Buckland, Conway, Chester, Hardwick, Huntington, Montague, Northfield, Pelham and Shelburne. The public-private partnership extended high-speed Internet service to unserved residents at speeds ranging up to 2 Gigabit-per-second (Gbps) for residential customers and up to 10 Gigabits-per-second (Gbps) for business customers. These speeds are among the fastest and most widely available and include access to the nation’s largest Wi-Fi network of more than 19 million hotspots.
Comcast is also offering customers its complete portfolio of Xfinity services, including:
- The award-winning X1 Platform for video service: includes X1 voice remote and popular Internet apps including Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, iHeartRadio and NPR One;
- Xfinity Internet: includes Xfinity xFi, a digital dashboard that lets customers personalize, manage and control their home Wi-Fi experience;
- Xfinity Home: security and home automation services;
- Xfinity Mobile:a new wireless service designed for the way people use their phones today; and
- Xfinity Voice: home phone service.
Businesses also have access to the Comcast Business suite of products, which include:
- Business Dedicated Internet up to 10 Gbps;
- Business Voice: providing office phone solutions for small, medium and large businesses;
- Business Video services; and
- Business Smart Office: advanced video monitoring solutions.